Things I Like (A Partial List)

I like my lazy mornings.  They're rare (because: a) I am always asleep in the mornings, b) I wake up too late and c) I am probably cramming something like mad) and always appreciated.  Today I'm having a particularly laaazy morning, just fresh out of the festivities of days past.   I'm mostly unthinking and unprepared even with having to go to school fast approaching (say, two hours from now).  Maybe this nonchalance is a bad thing, but right now it feels good.  I mean, I feel like I should have done schoolwork... ?

I tumbled out of bed sometime after 8 and proceeded to make a breakfast of corned beef, omelet and toasted bread.  I'm not the type of person to just grab whatever.  I like things complete.  I got it from my mom.  It can never just be longganisa and rice; it has to be longganisa and rice and tomato omelet.  Or it can never just be adobo, it has to be adobo and itlog na maalat and kamatis and sibuyas.

While I wait for my corned beef to turn out crispy just the way I like most things, I grind some coffee beans and start my coffee.  I like my coffee brewed, and slightly sweet,  no cream.  I don't like it steaming hot, but I don't like it warm either -- I like it right at the point before it cools down to warm.

I've just cleared the fog blocking my view of the days to come.  I've taken out my planner/journal and I'm filling out spaces.  I like planning my life, imagining it full and well-lived.  It doesn't matter if it pushes through or not (which is usually the case), which I guess is sort of funny.

I like tradition, and routine, and being in my safe place because it reminds me that not all things have to change.  It reminds me that I'm not leaving behind the person that I was yesterday, or the year before.  That I'm still myself, even for those little moments of sameness.

----

Anyway.  Happy 2012 from my family to yours!





Comments

Popular Posts