Cath...


For the past couple of weeks, I've been more introspective than usual. It hasn't been something that I've consciously done in a while.  I used to be this over-thinking, over-analyzing person whose mind (oftentimes with a bad British accent) wouldn't shut up about anything.  Train rides during my first and second years as a college student would usually involve staring wistfully towards concrete buildings and over-sized billboards in between reviewing for my next Math exam.  A couple of posts had been a product of this surplus of "Me time".  It had been a love-hate relationship that had me turning every, or most, stones of my life.



Now is a different story.  I ride a jeep, I fall asleep.  I walk towards the MRT and pray to God that there's a free seat.  I sleep (it doesn't matter if the free seat was granted or not).  I ride the bus.  I sleep.  It's been a way of coping with my design course. It's how I've come to adapt to the idleness, to the exhaustion .   Plates are usually time-extensive, and rides are where I get my sleep.

Today, after a nice almost-semender meal of Le Ching Beef Wanton Soup and Razon's Halo-halo (I REGRET NOTHING) with a couple of blockmates, I was pretty much in an idle state of mind.  Being so full (I REGRET NOTHING), I wasn't feeling sleepy at all.  I was wondering about how I came to this point in life when I stopped thinking during the ride home.  When had I put up a wall between my thoughts and their full realization?  I miss being that introspective person.  I miss knowing exactly where I am in the grand scheme of things.

---

The truth is, I still have some qualms about choosing a design course.  I mean, I know this is what I want to do for the rest of my life (That much is clear to me).  But, I know it sounds silly, I can't help but think about the others.  So I'm almost 21, and I still give shit about what others think of me.  Sue me, or something.

For most of my life (meaning:  before college), I had been the achiever.  I received awards for Math and Science, and of course it was logical for the others to assume that I'd follow that path.  I know a lot of people had envisioned me as a scientist probably, or a mathematician, or a doctor, maybe a lawyer.  I mean, I don't know what they think of me now as an Interior Design major.  I know there is still some sort of stigma that comes along with a design course, but I am here now.  I am braving all the doubts, because this is what I want to do.  It was a tough choice between something I was good at, and something that I was passionate about.  Believe you me when I tell you that I've tried countless times to picture myself as a doctor, or a teacher, or a lawyer or whatever else someone would want me to be.  It would have been easier to appease them first.  But I can't.  I only see myself in this field: as an interior designer, as someone working in print media, as a purveyor of design, as a creative.  So maybe this has been brought on by really dumb graduation blues, because I could have been (graduating).  My Facebook feed is filled with graduation pictures, and "Congratulations!" and achievements.  The sunflowers could have been for me.  But I know I wouldn't have been truly happy.  I guess if there's something I'm really proud of, it would be this.  I chose the road less approved, but the one which I truly believed in.

Soon everybody will ask what became of me
(But it would not matter)

Comments

  1. I don't want to sound like a "been there, done that" person (because I'm not yet done), but it's really best not to worry about what others think of you.

    Based on what I read, I think you are on the right track! Fear and doubt are good, they serve as challenges, to test your limits and to see if that path is really what you want.

    I'm hoping all the best for you, my dear!

    (Ugh Cars I missed you and your blog!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts