The Difference Between You and Me

Interior Design fits me.  Okay, so that realization took awhile but the point is that it did come to fruition.  I've been studying and memorizing all these crazy things I never thought I'd ever study and memorize.  I'm talking about things like art history and world architecture, space programming and people, kitchen counter heights and Filipino anthropometrics, construction methods and technical drawing.  I bet the people who only kind of knew me in high school would roll in their seats to find out that I'm not some math or science geek (although it seeps through most of the time).  I mean, there are people in my family who do not understand this choice. But who cares?  I am where I am, and I actually like it. Interior Design works the way I do -- quietly and in the background.  (Well, except for the actual construction part.)  And that's okay.

Ever since I was young, I've been constantly criticized for being "too quiet" or "not aggressive enough."  It had always frustrated me because no matter how much pep talk I get from myself and from everyone else, I always fall back to being who I really (feel I) am.  Which, as I've now figured out, is okay.  There are 8 billion people in the world and not everyone is and can be "loud and aggressive."  I like working without being too imposing or grand.  Just like how Interior Design isn't a life-saving surgery but an everyday nuance that keeps everything smooth and well-oiled through personalized space planning and a pleasant aesthetic.

So.  Yep.  I am where I am.
  

Comments

Popular Posts