Phoenix: The Real Thing


Phoenix -- one of those bands I'd never imagine I'd get to see live.  I got into them late, during my music renaissance in the early 2008's (aka when I entered college).  But so, so thankful because their music is just beautiful and eclectic.

In order to have THE concert experience, I decided to do away with a bag and my bulky camera.  But, I really regret not bringing my point-and-shoot (on account of it being always mistaken as a dSLR). There's still some kind of strange exhilaration from watching your own footage, looking back with your own photographs. I D K, is it just me?  Anyways, I only have D quality photos from my iPod.


They opened with one of the songs from their latest album: Entertainment.  Which I think is the perfect opener for a Phoenix concert.  I believe it was written for that very purpose.  It was a crazy party after that -- dancing and jumping and shouting (aka singing)!  It was great!  (Except there was this tall girl in front of us, and a sugapa one beside us.  But, still, very much thankful that no one had a freaking iPad in front of us.) Thomas Mars was as big as my thumb! (See also: Too poor for VIP)




I was especially enthralled by Sunskrupt! (which made me think back to just why I missed out on Explosions in the sky?!) It was such a visual/audio feast. Just, W- O - W.  The way it went from Love Like a Sunset, to Bankrupt! ... then that build up again to LLAS, the audience being bathed in orange, with Thomas spilling out slowly: Loooove like a sunset.  Perfect.




The night ended appropriately with confetti.  And post-concert depression.

My concert buddy, Nikki and me

After the concert, and much-needed documentation (aka selfies, vanity, poster-buying), we proceeded to walk the length of Macapagal Blvd towards the nearest Jollibee for Ulitmate Burger Steak.   

Of course.

Phoenix Live in Manila Setlist
Bakrupt! Tour
  1. Entertainment
  2. Lasso
  3. Lisztomania
  4. Long Distance Call
  5. Too Young
  6. Girlfriend
  7. The Real Thing
  8. Trying To Be Cool / Drakkar Noir / Chloroform
  9. Run Run Run
  10. Sunskrupt! (Bankrupt! + Love Like a Sunset)
  11. Consolation Prizes
  12. SOS in Bel Air
  13. Armistice
  14. 1901
  15. Countdown
  16. If I Ever Feel Better
  17. Rome
  18. Entertainment (Reprise)

Comments

Popular Posts