Bulletproof




And the clock struck 12. It felt like everything was new again.

Just before New Year, gradual sounds of distant fireworks filled the sky. The air was notably dimmer than usual. The streets smelled like an outdoor bar. While the hands of the clock grew closer to 12, the world (or the Philippines, at least) also grew noisier. Firecrackers were like heartbeats. Everything was in a state of constant movement; my mind was getting more and more excited. I don't know what exactly I was anticipating. The concept of a new year seemed so abstract. Like how men distorts life by limiting it with time. New year seemed unreal. Why was I so dependent on the turn of a year? Why not now? But here was my heart, and it was beating like crazy, not minding whatever philosophy about distorted time my mind was trying to think of.

My 2009 wasn't anything spectacular. All it will probably be in my memory, is the year I turned 18. Yes, I did meet quite a lot of new people. Yes, I broke up some friendships. Yes, a lot did happen. But everything just felt too meaningless, I guess. I dragged everything on until the end of the year. I just wanted to get it all over with. I've been calling what I've been doing, 'coasting.' That's why I've been anticipating 2010 this much. I feel like this is honestly going to be a good year. I know better than to rely on destiny, or luck, or the alignment of the planets -- I'm going to work for things this time.

This time, baby, I'll be bulletproof.* Happy New Year, everyone!

* Bulletproof - LaRoux

Comments

  1. You're on Blogger! What a surprise. I suddenly miss the old days of blogging where I'd spend the whole day tweaking into HTML codes. I miss the ajax thingy. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts