Just another Modus Operandi

Let me start off by accepting my stupidity.  (Okay, okay, okay)  Taxi modus operandi posts are a real thing, I know that.  I know that.  But I was tired and moody and not exactly in the mood to do the balancing act in a full bus (because where I get on, I always end up standing at the very, very front).  So, a taxi I rode.  (Stupid!!)  This was along EDSA Extension, MRT Taft Station.

I noted of course that the taxi had an automatic locking system; on a normal non-stupid day I would not get on one.  But alas.

It began as an ordinary ride with the driver asking what route we should take, and him knowing exactly what I meant without me having to explain in detail.   I tried to check off all the safe taxi riding things like locking the doors, making sure it's not on childlock, checking if there are any suspicious buttons on the dash, etc.  I'm not sure if this means anything but his pine tree air freshener was tucked in between the vents of the air-con. I didn't seem like anything suspicious, really.  The cab was probably just smelly or something.... I wouldn't know because my olfactory sense is in a constant state of malfunctioning.   Because of this physical defect, I tried my best to detect the "vanilla" smell I keep on reading about.   To my surprise, I did smell something quite peculiar... but I wouldn't describe it as vanilla exactly.  It kind of felt like White Flower, only sweeter.   And it also had that same menthol effect.   At this point, I suddenly felt hot (a quick sensation) and then all at once kind of loopy and far away.  Like how I feel when I've drank a bottle of beer (I'm allergic okay).  I felt my mind was freezing up, like I was being drawn away from myself.   I remember thinking, maybe this is all psychological.  Maybe I'm just paranoid.  But I felt my heartbeat almost coming out of my rib cage, and I got increasingly nauseated.  This is real.

We were about to make a U-turn from ESDA Extension to Roxas Boulevard, towards Baclaran -- a particularly dark and shady part of it.  So I felt panicky.  I kept giving myself pep talks thinking, if we make this u-turn there's no turning back and I might as well say goodbye to my thesis, my work, my graduation, (my life) etc. etc.  I kept thinking: "Look at your life.  Look at your choices. Stupid, stupid, stupid." I was talking to myself, commanding my body to  please move. Hands: you have to get your cellphone. Fingers: please cooperate and text dad the plate number (which I think he didn't understand because it was Uwe 123...). Mind: what's the plan? Roll out of the taxi? No. Make up an elaborate excuse about meeting up with someone in Mc Donald's Macapagal instead of going home?  Yes.   So with much effort, trying to coordinate my brain and my mouth (which felt heavy and unsure) I was able to relay this to the driver and thankfully, thankfully he obliged.

I heard a hiss. I think it was coming from behind me (would probably explain why the driver is unaffected). Another round of sudden heat, mind being numb, fingers shaking.  I felt myself slowly slipping, but I tried to hold my breath.   I took shallow breaths from my mouth.  I felt the effects less.   I experimented, and breathed with my nose again and felt the full effects of the drug.  Okay, mouth breathing it is! (!!!)  I breathed like this until we reached our destination, I felt clammy and ready to burst.   We finally arrived and I paid my due (Php60).  I handed him Php100, and apparently, I was still quite out of my mind because I was waiting for my change and all.  Okay.  No change? Fine.  Thank you, Manong.  (!@!@!$!$!#%%$^$!!@#)

Afterwards, I was shaking.  My head hurt.  My nose was runny.  I was a bit nauseated.  I'm not sure which are the after effects of the drug, or the after effects of being scared.

Anyway.  I ended up doing the balancing act in a bus while trying not to have a rampage.  I got home safe (??).

I'm still shaking, my head hurts.  I don't really want to share this story, but I thought: reading about this is what saved me.

The thing is that, I've never been this angry in my whole life. And I'm never really angry. All I want is to go home, and what I'm faced with is two evils (the bus vs the taxi) and I'm not sure which is the lesser one.

Ah, Manila.

White taxi
Taxi King or King of Taxis
UWE 123
Along EDSA Extension

Always remember:
1.  Once you detect that smell, breathe through your mouth.  Shallow breaths, just to keep you conscious.
2.  Always have an exit strategy (Try and get down in a safe place)
3.  Keep your mind alive by... talking to yourself.  My pep talks helped me a lot, I think.

Comments

Popular Posts